The theme for the 2022 Summer Reading Challenge is...
Science is all around you!
What do you love doing?
Are you a brilliant baker?
Or a mega music fan?
Are you the tech wizard amongst your friends?
Join the Gadgeteers for the Summer Reading Challenge 2022 to discover the amazing science and innovation behind the world around you, including some of your favourite things!
Perfect! Your imagination can unlock endless possibilities…
The Summer Reading Challenge is on now!
We’re teaming up with the Science Museum Group for a very special science-themed Challenge that will inspire you to use your imagination and creativity!
Gadgeteers feature amazing books, awesome rewards, and plenty of ideas for cool experiments and activities to discover the science all around you.
The Challenge has been brought to life by top children’s writer and illustrator Julian Beresford.
We're also holding Special FREE SRC Events
TO JOIN THIS YEAR'S SUMMER CHALLENGE THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW...
- Children need to be members of the library to join the Summer Reading Challenge (SRC).
- If they are not a member of the library, they can join for free either online before they come or in person at the library (parents/carers will need to bring ID with their proof of address - such as a driving licence or household bill).
- Children need to bring their library cards with them to join the SRC.
- Every child aged 4-11, following registration, will receive a poster map to show progress using their reward stickers. They will also receive instructions on how to set up an online account to record the books that they have read during the challenge period if they wish to do so.
- The children will also be able to colour in their paper characters and place them on the board in our library's Children’s Section.
- They can come along to any Surrey library after registration and as often as they like and they will receive rewards for each book read.
- To complete the SRC, children will need to read 6 books over the holidays and let us know they have finished by popping into any Surrey library where they will receive a medal and a certificate - please remember to come in and move your character to the finish line on our board!
Please note that Surrey Library's Mini Reading Challenge for pre-schoolers will run in a similar manner but with a collector card rather than a map - they will still get stickers and a completers certificate.